With the exception of a job interview, I can think of FEW occasions more nerve-wracking than a promising first date. And, to be candid, I've been on more than my fair share of first dates as of late (let's not discuss the dearth of seconds and thirds). As you might expect, I've gotten my first date beauty routine down to an absolute science and thought that the time was ripe to share my secrets with the world:
- Soft, moisturized skin is an essential base to any makeup, so treat skin to Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask ($21) the night prior to your big date. It's chock full of Avocado and Apricot Kernel Oil to deeply quench any pesky patches of winter-dry skin.
- Touchable skin is also a must (insert "DUH" here), so try Clarins Tonic Body Treatment Oil ($52) on post-shower skin for the ultimate indulgence.
- It goes without saying that the word of the day is, indeed, touchable and that goes for your hair as well - warm one pump of Kerastase Elixer Ultime ($50) between your palms and smooth through strands for shine and softness that can't be beat.
- Fragrance is so, so personal that I beg you to never take recommendations from friends. Go to a great department store or a fine fragrance boutique near you (if you were wondering, I live my life for Aedes in New York and Scent Bar in Los Angeles) and sniff until you find a scent to love that's explicitly YOU. That said, MY newest favorite is the clean but sensual Tom Ford Private Blend Pure Musk ($190) - it's perfect for a date as it inspires the ever-so-subtle 'lean in'.
- On a first date, I'd recommend focusing on a neutral, glossy lip and playing up your peepers. Available in a sweet array of colors, MAC Technokohl Liner ($14.50) is my go-to liner to anchor a smokey eye.
- I've oft waxed poetic about MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in By Candlelight (now discontinued, other shades available here), and it's still a makeup bag MUST in my book, delivering a glow that seems like you're lit from within.
What are your best first date beauty tips? Leave a comment and tell all.