I don't know about you guys, but one of my obsessions of the past year has easily been...the GIF. You can even scroll through a few of my favorite GIF blogs here. So, you can imagine how thrilled I am to (FINALLY) have a starring role in my very own GIF (and a GIF focused on one of my very favorite things at that - my HAIR).
Created by my friends at Pantene to kick off their #HairFlipOff Challenge, you can see me get a little bit silly (and a little bit sassy) below, and if you're so inclined, I encourage you to take the challenge too - show me and Pantene what you've got!
Embracing the Flip Off is easy, and you can get as creative as you like on video application Vine (follow me @Dina Fierro while you're at it). Once you've created your six second clip, just share the video to Twitter along with @Pantene's handle and the hashtag #HairFlipOff. Select Vines will be turned into a GIFs like mine, and shared via the @Pantene Twitter feed this Sunday, April 14, during the MTV Movie Awards.
I'll also be live-tweeting along with @Pantene during the show, sharing my favorite hair looks of the night. Be sure to follow and tweet along for a chance to win Pantene products just by retweeting or favoriting @Pantene during the show.
See you then!
While all opinions expressed are my own, this post was sponsored by Pantene.
Super stylist Odile Gilbert for John Frieda created the "rocker princess' mane seen at the Rodarte Fall 2013 show. As we've seen on so many runways this season, the texture was effortless and undone.
- Before drying the hair, Odile applied dollops of Frizz-Ease Curl Reviver Styling Mousse to build texture while ensuring a smooth finish.
- After hair was blow-dried, a 2-inch iron was used to create loose bends. Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Hairspray was lightly misted over each section before it was wrapped around the iron to lock the waves in place.
- Next, the waves were brushed out to make the texture look more natural, and braids on both sides were connected in the back of the head with a rose made of the models’ own hair.
- To finish the look, a dime size of the Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Thermal Protection Formula was smoothed over random ends to make sure the overall effect was “undone” with a little polish.
TRESemmé Stylist Jeanie Syfu was backstage at Jenny Packham's Fall 2013 show earlier this week. The collection was inspired by the mid-17th century and featured the designer's signature, feminine silhouettes and intricate detailing. To ensure the overall look was glamorous, yet modern, Jeanie Syfu created an elegant, loose ponytail with polished ends.
To get the look:
- Start by applying TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Blow Dry Lotion throughout the roots and mid–lengths and TRESemmé Platinum Strength Strengthening Heat Protect Spray to the ends
- Blow dry with a Mason Pearson brush for a straight finish
- Create a part down the center and then section hair in two parts, separating across the back of the head from ear to ear
- Gently tease the underneath section and along the horizontal line from ear to ear
- Loosely pull hair into a low ponytail at the nape of the neck, letting hair fall out around the face
- Secure with an elastic and finish with a ribbon
John Frieda Global Creative Consultant Luigi Murenu created a glam, deconstructed chignon for last night's Zac Posen Fall 2013 show. Before drying, Luxurious Volume Volume Building Mousse was raked through models' hair to build texture while still keeping the hair soft and touchable. Hair was then pulled back into a chignon at the nape of the neck, with pieces left loose to give the look a messy, modern edge. Each loose piece was carefully crimped, resulting in a mohair-like texture that was set in place with Luxurious Volume All-Day Hold Hairspray.
L'Oréal Professionnel Lead Stylist, Joseph DiMaggio created the look for the Houghton Fall 2013 Runway Show. DiMaggio used L'Oréal Professionnel True Grip Texturizing Powder, Volume Expand Leave-In Spray, Perfect Shimmer and Infinium 3 hairspray to create the look.
Designer Katharine Polk of Houghton was inspired by both the classic elegance of New York City’s Upper East Side woman and the edginess of Katharine Hepburn’s style. Her collection consisted of textiles like waxed twill and burnout velvet adorned with sequins, laminated lace, and ostrich feathers. Lead stylist for L’Oréal Professionnel, Joseph DiMaggio, juxtaposed the varying textures of the collection with a smooth and easy knot.
Aveda Global Creative Director Antoinette Beenders styled regal fishtail braids for the Christian Siriano Fall/Winter 2013 collection yesterday.
“Christian and I have collaborated for many seasons. This collection is inspired by the golden age of Russian Opera and Saint Petersburg’s Mariinsky Theatre,” said Beenders. “The clothing is rich and opulent, so we designed a sophisticated, feminine look to properly complement it. From the front, the look has a lovely roundness. The braids at the back evoke refinement and glamour, reminiscent of a Russian girl dressed for an evening at the opera. I’m thrilled with how it all turned out.”
Models' hair was prepped pre-blowdry with Aveda Pure Abundance™ Style Prep™ to give texture and grit, and then divided into a clean center part from forehead to nape using a tail comb. Next, stylists created an inverted fishtail braid on each side of the head, beginning at the crown and working to the back of the ear, securing each with an elastic band. Flyaways were tamed with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray and braids were then gently massaged to add fullness. Braids were folded over one another across the back of the head, just above the nape, in a crisscross fashion, with ends tucked under and secured with bobby pins. A misting of Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray finished the look.
Aveda Global Creative Director Antoinette Beenders created the hair look seen today at designer Kimberly Ovitz's Fall '13 show.
The 'assymetric corseted ponytails' channeled the mood of the collection, which was inspired by the human psyche and the inate defenses found in animals and insects. "...like a shield of armor or an armadillo's shell. The texture is smooth, and finish is shiny, but there is a veil of protection,' said Beenders.
To get the look, make a center part, creating two distinct sections and soak with Aveda Phomollient. Tie each section into a ponytail, securing one near the forehead and the other behind the ear. Anchor each of the ponytails in place with an arm's length of millinary elastic, and then criss-cross the elastic aroudn the ponytail from base to ends. Overlay the ponytails on top of the head, snaking and securing with pins and Aveda Control Force Firm Hair Spray.
It's pretty unusual that I am EARLY for anything, but in the case of my recent trip to the Frédéric Fekkai salon in SoHo, that just happened to be the case. Or at least it FELT as if I were early, as I joined Fekkai's amazing stylists for a party-ready blowout and styling session, nay NEW YEAR'S EVE-ready styling session, complete with the PERFECT finishing touch - a hair accessory from Jennifer Behr's incredibly luxe collection. Seen above is the Leather Dinosaur Studded Headband in New Year's Eve-ready gold. Love, yes?
While I may not be able to replicate the masterful, asymetrical updo I left with that night, I have embraced the new Fekkai PrX Reparatives collection. Complete with Shampoo, Conditioner, Fortifying Mask and an intensive 3-Day Transformation treatment, these keratin-rich products leave my hair (see also: my crowning glory, pride & joy, etc.) glossy and sleek, yet feeling stronger than ever before. Better yet, they smell effortlessly incredible. While I've easily 8 sets of shampoo and conditioner, I don't want to reach for another at the moment, and that's really saying something as I'm a woman who thrives on change, fixed sign be damned.
Learn more about Fekkai Soho and the product collection here, or shop the post below!
TRESemmé Stylist Jeanie Syfu created a tousled bedhead style with a faux undercut effect for the Tracy Reese Spring 2013 show - a surprisingly edgy look that was inspired by Rihanna’s 80’s-inspired textured undercut.
To recreate this look, full of attitude and texture, follow these tips from TRESemmé Stylist Jeanie Syfu:
- Enhance your natural texture with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Blow Dry Lotion and power dry with fingers for a loose wavy finish. Once dry, lightly brush through hair with a paddle brush to soften the product.
- Next, create a deep side part continuing diagonally back to the nape of the opposite side. Clip hair to section away.
- Using TRESemmé Mega Firm Control Gel, create a tight cornrow braid with the lower section of the hair starting behind the ear, working diagonally to the nape, and fasten with an elastic.
- Release the top section of hair and spray TRESemmé Fresh Start Volumizing Dry Shampoo throughout for matte texture.
- Apply TRESemmé Mega Firm Control Gel with fingers through the front hairline, leaving the rest of the hair matte, soft and loose. Set hair with pin curl clips around the hairline and diffuse with a blow dryer on high heat for height and body.
- Spray with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray and release clips when gel has dried. Toss hair over one shoulder for an 80's-inspired textured undercut.
The hair look at the S/S ’13 DKNY show this weekend was youthful and natural looking but with a definite sense of direction. “The DKNY S/S ’13 collection was based on the ultimate DKNY girl’s lifestyle, with every aspect of her day catered for, from swimwear to outer-wear, so it stands to reason that the hair reflects this direction. I wanted to create a hairstyle that gave a sense of unity to the look and give a relaxed, lifestyle feeling. I felt it important to give a sense of life and movement to the hair and play on how the light reflects on textures, so I created a subtle multi textured effect on the hair” said Eugene Souleiman, Global Creative Director, Care & Styling, Wella Professionals.
These subtle different textures were brought to life with a smooth clean fresh finish to the front of the hair which was swept low from a side parting and was tucked behind the ear, to a more textured ‘Californian sunned’ look to the back and lower part of the hair. The overall result was of a young, relaxed feeling which was not forced or contrived yet was definitely done with deliberate intention.
To get the Look:
- Start with clean freshly washed and conditioned hair, using Wella Professionals Enrich Shampoo and Conditioner, to ensure hair is in perfect condition.
- Roughly dry the hair using your hands. Then create a low side parting and section off the hair from the parting to the crown.
- Section off hair and blow dry each section perfectly straight using a round brush to create a smooth sleek finish. Apply tension with the brush at the roots and loosen the tension as you dry to the ends of the hair.
- Once this section is dry and smooth, sweep the hair down low over the forehead and secure behind the ear with a hair grip.
- Pull some of the hair forward over the ear to give a less polished feel to the look.
- Pull the hair on both sides towards the back of the head and twist in to a rope – spray with Wella Professionals Ocean Spritz Beach Texture Spray, then while holding the hair in a tight twisted rope apply heat with a diffuser till the hair is bone dry.
- For extra effect, pin the rope up until you are ready to reveal the hair. Once the rope of hair is released, the hair will have a natural tousled effect to it.
- Finally, for added texture, once the hair is loose push the hair upwards against the natural grain around the crown of the head to give a textured fly away feel to the hair.