5 Practical, Painless Self-Care Tips for Men
When it comes to self-care, there should be no distinctions in gender. It’s true, skincare and the beauty industry tend to be more female-centric. However, men can benefit from rejuvenating beauty routines too. Men deserve to be pampered and indulge in self-care just as much as anyone else. The problem with guys (and gals too, sometimes) is that employing a self-care regimen can be daunting or seem like a lot of work. This simply doesn’t have to be the case.
Taking simple, easy steps to honor your health can make a tremendous impact on your overall wellness and outlook. If you’re a guy who is looking to up your self-care game without having to make huge efforts (or spend a ton of money), then you’re in the right place. These simple tips will render great health results as well as make you look fabulous.
1. Accessorize: When you look your best, you often feel your best, so think about getting a fresh look with a few simple fashion accessories. These can be a big boon to your mood and attitude. Untucked graphic t-shirts and distressed jeans are fine, but you can lift this look (and feel like a million bucks) by adding a tailored suit jacket and a jaunty fedora to your everyday ensemble. This allows you to stay comfortable while expressing a stylish flair to your wardrobe. Also, think about adding simple pieces like a classic wristwatch and a natty scarf. A few simple accessories will make you look hip and feel fabulous.
2. Exercise: We all know exercise plays a big role in taking care of ourselves and living life to the max. But if you’re averse to exercise, or find yourself a little out of shape these days, launching into an intense cardio routine might not seem very appealing. That’s okay. The key to practical, painless self-care is supporting yourself without pushing. Start small by incorporating more movement throughout your day. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Whenever possible walk or bicycle to your destination. Add simple stretches or basic yoga moves to your morning and evening routines. You get the idea. Start simple, and gradually increase your movement. Over time, you will look and feel better and even get inspired to step up your exercise game.
3. Skincare: Facials and mud masks are not just for women. Men deserve self-care for pores and skin too. Think about treating yourself to a guy spa day. Yes, we’re serious. More guys are taking advantage of what women have known for years…spa treatments work miracles on skin, body, and even emotional wellbeing. If you just can’t bring yourself to go the spa route, then pamper yourself at home. There are amazing products that nourish your skin and help soothe jangled nerves. For instance, you can indulge in an at-home facial peel then follow it up with an oil free moisturizer. Your skin will feel terrific and you will relish the smooth, baby-soft results.
4. Diet: This aspect of self-care is a no-brainer because everybody knows the adage “we are what we eat.” If you’re munching a whole bag of Cheetos every night, then eventually, the shape of your body is going to resemble those bulbous, disfigured curls. Sure, they’re yummy, and you don’t have to give up on the cheesy orange curlicues altogether. But do try to introduce healthy alternatives like carrots or bell pepper slices. If you’re not a fan of nutritious veggies, try them with a healthy dip until you begin to appreciate the flavor of vegetables. Try incorporating more salads and fish into your diet too and do your best to avoid the troublesome fare we all know packs on pounds like fried foods, junk food, sugary snacks, and sodas. Remember, moderation is key. Start small, and work your way up to a healthier diet.
5. Relaxation: Sleep and proper rest is a huge factor for optimum self-care. If you’re not getting the recommended amount of sleep, it can negatively impact your health, appearance, productivity, and attitude. Yes, it’s that big of a deal. If you have issues with sleep, tackle them head-on by planning for a substantial night’s rest. Don’t eat a big meal or drink caffeine before going to bed, and try to cut back on alcohol as these activities tend to thwart the goal of getting decent sleep. Prepare the area where you sleep by installing blackout curtains, turn off all electronics, and set the room temperature for optimal sleeping conditions. Before your head hits the pillow, try to relax your mind and body as much as possible. Consider a simple meditation to calm your thoughts so you can better your odds of having a successful and satisfying journey into dreamland.
The bottom line to looking and feeling better doesn’t have to be painful or require monumental effort. The trick to upping the self-care game for men (or women, for that matter) is about taking baby steps in the beginning and making gradual improvements over time. Eventually, you should start to see the positive effects of nourishing yourself and your body. The results you see will inspire you to add more self-care practices and before you know it, you will experience a brand new you!